Friday, July 10, 2009

Traffic and Highway Signs

I have KL-phobia. I cannotttt stand driving into KL. I can count with one hand the number of times I've gone into KL since I stopped working in KL.

Today we went to Gleneagles to visit H's cousin, Ina, who's having a spinal surgery early tomorrow morning. Mom and Sister tagged along (because we travel in troops.. hehhh) and they told me to take the new DUKE highway. But they don't even know the way to take. So I told em, no sirree, we take the normal way okay... coz I didn't want to risk getting lost.

So like the nerds that we are, we took the NKVE to the Duta interchange, drove off the highway, into Jalan Tun Razak and worked our way up to Ampang from there. It took us 45 minutes to get to Gleneagles because of the usual Ampang jam. Grrrrr.

Don't anybody in Malaysia walk or take public transportation anymore...? Practically every vehicle had only one person in them (the driver). That makes millions of cars on the roads at any given time of the day. Scary thought. And lets not chat about the lack of pedestrian side-walks or public transportations in Malaysia.

After chatting with a chirpy-but-worried Ina, we left at nearly 5 p.m. and vowed to take the DUKE. So into the DUKE we went.

What is it with Malaysian roads and the lousy signage?? Call me a snob but the highway signage in Malaysia is nothing like those they have in Australia. Tensionnnnnnnnn.

First the sign said "Damansara 200 m"... and then at the turning, it said; "Petaling Jaya, Kepong, etc.." ... ALRIGHT you can argue that Damansara is in PJ, but why lah the signs cannot be consistent??! Put lah same-same names!

Ok since I have hypertension and high-blood problems in my genetic chain, I will stop yakking about highway signs right now.

I can just imagine what Ina must be feeling right now. When you're going through major surgeries, there's that doubt in you whether you'd live to wake up again. There's always that unsaid scary thought.

Here's praying that cousin Ina's procedure goes smoothly and that God will give her strength to carry through the post-op recovery period with patience and faith, Insyaallah.

2 comments:

angelsixteen said...

yea i know what u mean. on the highway from penang is a signboard that says ******* 5KM..about 1KM later there's another signboard that says ******* 5KM

send my best wishes to ina

Cynful Pleasure said...

hahha... same same here.. I never trust the signboards actually at times.. If I went missing, I start calling my friends to ask for direction.. You know near my house, there is 2 roads diversion, and both will say "pusat bandaraya".. which one to take? muahaha...