Wednesday, April 15, 2009

One Year Ago

Around this time one year ago, I started losing sensation on my left leg and could not walk. I had to be walked to work by Mom or Aunty. They'd wait for me to finish my lectures, then walked me back to the car. Looking back, I wish I'd taken their advice to get a pair of crutches or a walker. That way I wouldn't have troubled them so much. Thank you Mak and Aunty for your unconditional love and support.

Around this time one year ago, I hardly slept for months and months while I battled the pain caused by the infected titanium implants with supplements and painkillers of all sorts. H would massage my legs everynight before bed, and a few more times through the night when the pain was too much to bear. He took care of Gibran the minute he came back from work, he took over the night-time caring as well, and went to work hardly rested for months. So I wasn't the only one suffering from lack of sleep. I knew he was awake and watching me all those nights I spent in front of the TV or the Ogawa massage chair, trying to ease the pain and get at least a few minutes' sleep. Thank you H for the neverending love and support you've bestowed upon me all these years through health and sicknesses.

Around this time one year ago, I was convinced my days with Gibran were numbered. I kid you not.

Everyday I try to remember all this, and how lucky I am to have pulled through a serious situation such as this and came out okay. Alhamdulillah. Thank you, God, for giving me the much needed mental and emotional strength, for giving me a loving family who never tired of taking care of me, for friends who never made / make me feel abnormal or unloved, for the rezeki you gave so much so that I never had to worry about not being able to pay for medical bills. Thank you Allah for this life.

One year on, the tingling sensation down my spine and entire left side is a constant reminder of how fragile life is and how lucky we are if we get to live this life with that realisation. Like an enlightenment. Because then we'd learn to treasure every day we have in this world with our loved ones.


The bed where I spent most of my time in, and Gib would "visit" and spend time with me for short periods of time when health permitted.


Now I get a second chance to be in his life.

5 comments:

Lollies said...

This is a wonderful reminder. I am really soory to hear that. I can understand the frustration. But Alhamdullilah you are better now (?) Hugs.

I do think about this. And it takes a strong iman to appreciate that it is Allah's signs of reminder and that all pain are sent down to expiate our sins. he knows best indeed.

I yang kekadang sakit belakang pun dah foul mood. Macamana nak expiate sins macam tu?

Hugs again.

angelsixteen said...

alhamdulillah..u're v lucky to hv such a wonderful husband. ur posts always make me cry *sniff*

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

lollies; thanks for such kind words :) it is hard for me to express the gratitute and appreciation i have in my life now. i'm glad that blogging brought me friends like u who somehow manage to get inside my head and get what i'm trying to say. thank you. *hugs!*

angelsixteen; aww. thanks dear. H will be very kembang if he reads this. hehee.

Yatie SawaNiLa said...

I don't know how you managed that....
but I know how you feel...sakit even though mine not that bad... but yes it suffered...and alhamdulillah we have somebody support us....

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

yatie; yes, we are very lucky to have our loved ones supporting us! i kesian tengok those ppl with health problems who have noone around. sedih.