Wednesday, April 22, 2009

When You Least Want It!

Have you ever gone out looking like a pauper / bag-lady / whatever-not-flattering-term-you-wanna-use-please-insert-here.... and then you bump into a blogger friend or someone you haven't seen in quite a while?

My karma's funny that way. Mind you, not funny ha-ha but funny NOT-funny, you know??!

Last Saturday we made an impromptu decision to go to One Utama because H needed to pick up his suit from Zara (a birthday + anniversary present from yours truly, ehemmmm). So I hurriedly threw whatever clothes I could get my hands on the quickest, tenyeh-tenyeh some light make-up on my face, put on the first hijab I found which seemed to match whatever clothes I'd put on, and hurriedly got Gibran and Gibran's stuff ready. As usual since Gib was born, I definitely spent more time getting him ready, rather than myself. Huhuuuhuuuu... sad case lah!

A few hours later as we ran out of fuel and about ready to head home (but not without some Roti Boy bread), into the lift we went to get some Roti Boy before heading home. As we struggled to get our "cute" bodies into the lift, I suddenly noticed a somewhat familiar face grinning at me. It turned out to be Sasha!

Hey Sasha, you look different than your pictures lah! And your kids are so cute! ;)

So despite not looking my best, I am definitely glad to have bumped into you! Hehehehee. Managed to chat also for a few minutes, which was nice :)

Then the real test happened yesterday.

We were heading home from my parents' house at 9.30 at night, when Mom (who was spending the night at our place) suddenly suggested we stop at Giant to get some stuff. I was dressed in a glorious "Environmental ABCs" t-shirt which I had had since I was thirteen years old and used to wear to the school's house practice and such. I figured since it was quite late on a Tuesday night, what are the chances of bumping into anyone we know lah?

Boy, was I wrong!

I had only one measly-looking scarf in the car which I threw on my head, and I even managed to touch my shiny nose with a spot of compact powder before rushing out of the car to make our quick purchases.

Lifts bring a unique sense of karma for me. I tend to bump into people in them.

As we were once again struggling to fit into an elivator, and heaving sighs of relief that everyone managed to fit into the small space, a lady wearing a fancy office outfit (obviously looking as if she just came back from work) with perfectly applied make-up suddenly called out...

"Nina... is that you...?"

Huhuhuuuuuuu. It was my junior from secondary school. We used to hang out while we attended curriculum activities and gossiped about boys back in the days when I constantly wore shorter-than-shorts cut-offs, Nirvana t-shirts and black nail polish.

So there I was in the greatest outfit of all times, chatting away as if I looked like a million bucks. I'm sure she'd seen me in this t-shirt before, in our teen days during one of those curriculum activities, and perhaps she might've even been amazed ("Wow! How thrifty! Still wearing clothes from our teenage days!").. with make-up-less face and drabby hijab and pants (mind you, I think hijabs are fashionable, just not the one I was wearing!) which may have further amazed her ("Wow! From a black nail polish-wearing girl who even wore make-up to house practice... to such a simple, fuss-less lady!").......

Goodness. Karma is a funny thing.

Lesson learned: Never ever go to public places with your house clothes.

8 comments:

angelsixteen said...

wowee....sounds very embarassing. i've been thru tht..going out in shabby clothes, no contact lens, jz to get a box of milk and a burger for dinner, then bump into school friends i haven't seen in ages. cute plak tu!

Lollies said...

Err actually the only thing that I can read from this entry is that you CAN STILL FIT INTO A TEENAGE TSHIRT?

Wow!

kiddo's mom said...

babe, i do that ALL the time. apa pakai nak tido, tu la pakai keluar rumah hahaha. and i dont care much for shiny faces n shabby clothes coz thats the REAL me hahahaha.

but i agree, malu jugak la kalau jumpa kawan :D

Yatie SawaNiLa said...

hahah so far not happen to me yet....

nuhaafnan said...

lesson of the day from bb is: house clothes pun kena fabulous jugak lah. eh at least you don't go out wearing bedak sejuk and kain batik like i sometimes do! wekekekke makcik kampung le katakan

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

angelsixteen; issuenya is the way u look or because budak tu cute? if tak cute, takpe kot? heheheee

lollies; hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa no need to get impressed sebab this was a very oversized t-shirt back then so now it fits just nice. huahuahuaaaa

kiddo's mom; ishhh... lets hope it doesnt have to happen to u.. heheh

yatie; :p hehehe

anne; wah! u still wear bedak sejuk? cool camtu! i used to love bedak sejuk tapi i ran out of it and H made me promise not to buy some more. huhuhuuu

angelsixteen said...

if x cute x heran pun hahaha...but still malu jgk la abit..not as much tho heheheh

Sasha Tan said...

u know what? That was one of my ugliest outfit and my blurrest day and i was like ...takkan when i look so terrible i will bump into someone i know kan?. And you know what? That day i met 2 bloggers. sigh.. one time i was wearing my home clothes and i went to carrefour and i was busy choosing cabbage and suddenly someone came and asked me "are u sasha?" I so wanted to say "NO" but she said i recognise your kids and your husband. Ai.. cannot say No right? Just say hi la.. what to do. Its like that wan la.. when u dressed to kill no one will see you when u least expected like you said.. sure bump into someone.