Monday, February 2, 2009

Atuk's Marble Cake

It's only fitting for the first ever recipe that I share with friends to be Gibran's favourite cake; my Arwah Atuk's marble cake, which was my favourite cake too when I was growing up. This was the cake I made for Gibran's first and second birthdays because he gets really sugar-high if he eats chocolate cake. Hence I much prefer making this cake for him, and I usually top it off with a Buttercream Icing recipe which I got from Aunty Ani, the mother of Arwah Ninie who was one of my oldest and closest friends. The icing recipe however I will share another time. And since this is the first time I'm sharing recipes, please let me know if I can improve in any way! Thanks :)

GIBRAN'S GREAT-GRANDMA'S MARBLE CAKE.

Ingredients:
8 oz. butter.
8 oz. sugar (I use fine granulated sugar)
8 oz. plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
various colourings (I chose to use red and green colourings)

Method:
1. Using a mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy.
2. Add egg one at a time, beat until incorporated and creamy.
3. Fold in flour, alternate with evaporated milk. This means a bit of flour, fold in. Then a bit of milk, fold in. Continue this until all flour and milk have been folded in. My Mom says the last to be folded in should always be flour because the batter will be softer that way.
4. Fold in vanilla extract.
5. Separate the batter into three different bowls.
6. Colour the batter in one bowl red. Colour the batter in another bowl green. A few drops of colourings would suffice. I leave the third bowl in its natural yellow buttery colour.
7. Now we pour the batter into a square greased and lined cake pan using this method; first put in a scoop of yellow batter, then green, then red. Repeat this process (just put in the batter at random) until all the batter is in the pan. Shake the pan a little to level the top of the cake batter.
8. Bake at 175 degree celcius, for approximately 50 minutes or when a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

This cake is nice and oh so moist because of the evaporated milk! Perfect for tea-time with a cup of Nescafe or teh tarik ;)

NOTE:
- You could add half a teaspoon of cocoa powder (instead of colouring) to one bowl of batter in order to give the cake some chocolatey swirls.

No comments: