Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Taboo?

I was chatting on the phone with my Singapore-born Australian-raised friend Sarah Fraij on the phone yesterday evening and asked her about the forest fires and whether they've arrested guilty parties (obviously I haven't read The Age in days), and she said yes.

"Any of them Muslims?"

"Hah?? Apehal pulak?!" aiks.. this is strange. Sarah's usually very up to date with news and stuff.

"That forest jihat claim, what? You didn't hear about it?"

"Forest jihat?? Citer cepat!"

So I told her what I read and how they're saying that some extremist group was staking claims / taking on responsibilities for the forest arsons. It was certainly news to her. She had not heard about it because it was not discussed on Australian TV.

Hmm. I wonder why lah?

No comments: